Graduation is coming up the corner.. Are you ready for it?! Even if you are unsure of what you are doing, you should always have an answer to this question on the back of your hand. The truth is that no one ever really knows what they are doing, and that is okay. Anyone that’s graduated knows that the post-college life can be intimidating, and having a vision of what you want to do can help relieve the anticipation. Here are some post graduation plans to help you decide what you want to do for yourself-
- Grad School: Do your career goals line up with attending grad school? For many prospects, continuing school after undergrad will help you earn more opportunities and advance your education and career in the future. Challenge yourself to be the best you can be by learning and producing your own innovations when you continue school. This is a big commitment, that will be worth it for a lifetime if you are passionate about you endeavors.
- Internship: Getting an internship is valuable to gain experience working in what your future career might be. Some people may make the drastic decision to change their career path because the actuality of the internship experience is something they don’t enjoy doing at all. Having this realization early saves you immense time and commitment. Getting an internship is easier said than done. The reality is that you might only get at most 5 responses, even though you might have applied to over 100 job prospects. It’s important to curate your resume and cover letter to the internship you applied for to show that you care and are actually interested in what a company has to offer. Lastly, desperate times call for desperate matters. Interning for free is perfectly normal; the experience you gain from your work is priceless.
- Work Full Time: If you have landed a full-time job after college, congratulations! Hopefully you enjoy what you do so that you are “not working” a day in your life. By working, you are building your financial security and becoming the amazing adult you dread to be. This is all a part of growing up! On the behalf of the Career Center at UCSD, we are proud of your achievements.
- Work Part Time: Are you satisfied with where you are at? You may be, and you may not. Working part time is a great compromise to help you start your life by making money on the side, while giving yourself the time to work on your ultimate goal. On the other hand, working part time is valuable because there is room for improvement and moving up. Keep doing your best working to get where you want to be in the future.
- Travel: After all your hard work, perseverance, and dedication to studying in your undergrad years, you deserve to have fun after you graduate. This is the only time to have fun before you start working.. Forever (or until the time comes). After you graduate, take time to celebrate your achievements! Expand your horizons by taking time to nourish what it means to have self care.
- Self Employment/ Personal Project: Be ambitious and root for the success of your own projects. Self employment project examples include opening up a business, creating your own software/application, or investing in research for the advancement of medical innovation. With your knowledge, you just need to have faith in yourself, the desire to keep learning, and the power to persevere through the obstacles that may arise. Your personal projects don’t need to align with your career, it could be through the exploration of your interests or anything.