The Student Employment Office can answer questions regarding student employment on campus and federal work-study. Unfortunately we cannot offer legal tax advice, but we are happy to provide you with resources!

  • Do I need to file a tax return? Check out the IRS’s tool to easily find out. Generally, dependents who make less than $6,300 do not need to file a tax return. However, you are encouraged to file a return if taxes were withheld from your 2016 income. In that case, you may get a tax refund.
  • Where do I find tax documents such as W-2’s, etc.? To access your paystubs, electronic W-2’s, direct deposit information, employment verification, etc. you can use At Your Service Online (AYSO). To access AYSO, visit the website. If you are a new user, you can click on “New User and don’t have a password.” Use your social security number as your username and your birthday (mm/dd/yyyy) as your password. If you are not a new user, simply log in. Once logged in you can view whatever documents you need on the right-hand side under “Income & Taxes.”
  • What if I need help filing my taxes? If you need help preparing your taxes, many libraries throughout San Diego offer free tax services from early February to mid-April. Scroll down to “Tax Preparation Assistance” to see the full list. You can also file online through the IRS website. Additionally, there are many online services, such as TurboTax and H&R Block, where you can file your taxes for free if you qualify.
This article originally appeared in the March 2017 Issue of the Triton Worker. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s